Thursday, May 2, 2013

Inhumane

   In LA we're studying the Holocaust and Night(a personal account by Elie Wiesel). It hurts my heart to hear about the death and torture displayed during this time period and the sad part is that it's still going on. The LRA in northern Uganda, camps for political opponents in North Korea, and persecution in places like Indonesia are just horrific. It hurts me that I can wonder how people sat by and watched the holocaust while I sit by and watch equally horrific things in our world right now. The holocaust was inhumane. These horrific things are inhumane. What is inhumane?
   I feel like we hear the word applied to awful things to much to not really take a look at the word itself. 


in·hu·mane

  [in-hyoo-meyn or, often, -yoo-]
adjective
not humane; lacking humanity, kindness, compassion, etc.

The Definition above is from dictionary.com but other sources describe it in a similar way, they all equate human to kind or compassion. I honestly don't think humans are kind. We were created loving and kind, in God's very image, but we have fabricated a society that kills God's image in us asap unless we work to keep it. Humans are the ones who cause war, genocide, persecution, ect. Humans could stop starvation, death from curable disease, poverty, ect. But do we? NO! We started good but are now motivated by selfishness and greed. I don't think inhumane, or humane for that matter, are really correct words. I think maybe humane should be replaced by Godly and inhumane by ungodly. 
   My apologies if my thoughts are a little muddled but they are just a sneak peek of what goes on inside my brain! :) Please join me in praying that one day inhumane will actually mean things humans don't do because humans are kind and compassionate! Praying that we will allow God to restore us back into His image.

No comments:

Post a Comment