Friday, May 31, 2013

Giving Thanks

   I just read a devotional written by my iron sister (aka really awesome, Jesus loving, friend) that was discussing Psalm 50:23, "The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God!" I love this verse so much, there are so many layers by which we can view what God is telling us in this 1 verse! So let's start unpacking!
   My Iron sister wrote this about this verse, "God wants us to thank Him continually, and I've realized that no matter how much I thank God, I won't cover everything He's given me." I thought this was such a cool thought. We don't even know everything that God has done for us! Some things He does that we can't see, others that we don't realize, and still more, things we just don't remember came from Him. So if you're ever at a loss as to what to thank God for, snap out of it! Thank Him for each thing in all you things, for your hair, your vision, your family, ect. Imagine all the things He is preventing from happening to you each day and thank Him. Thank Him for the fact that He forgave your last sin. Now, I'm not saying I do all this but I'm going to start trying! And should we manage to thank Him every second of the day for the rest of our lives we still won't hit everything but we be offering our thanksgiving as our sacrifice, and by doing that, glorifying God!
   When I read this verse, what really stood out to me was, "to one who orders his way rightly." To me this is God saying, "Caroline honey, it's not so much about the money you give at church or teaching others or any other visible, tangible thing. It is the thanks you give me that only I can see that matters. Giving thanks privately should be your first priority. That is the right order!" This is God reminding me that focusing on inner beauty and thanking Him will lead to better teaching and other stuff along those lines! 
   This verse also tells us that God prefers our thanks over all else, our recognition and gratitude toward Him for His marvelous works! I think it's so cool that He what He puts as #1 for giving Him glory is something we all can do! Young or old, rich or poor, giving thanks is simply in the heart. It doesn't cost money or call for prime physical condition, in doesn't even have to cost time. You can really hone in on giving thanks in the shower, or while vacuuming  or some other activity where your mind would otherwise be wandering. 
   I know that I need to take more advantage of the biggest gift God's given us for this life, prayer. And I can use that gift to give glory to God! Yay! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment