Friday, April 12, 2013

Cursing

   Today I went to the Dance for Africa at my church where you pay $10 to go and all the money goes to the Luanda Children's home(a.k.a. African Orphanage). It is open to everyone and really awesome but I noticed some people cursing. According to the Bible,(2 Timothy 2:16) cursing is a no-no, and even our society says not in the church. My friend noticed her neighbor doing it and encouraged him to stop, his response was that he was trying not to. I think this is scary, you may start cursing to be cool and decide only to do it around cool people but this philosophy doesn't work! #1 As you curse it becomes a habit and habits don't have an off switch. #2 what good ever comes of going against the word of God?
   Some people may say the good is being cool but is that really good? From what I've observed, (and I've got some good people watching skills!:)) "cool" people don't typically make great decisions and usually have earthly consequences but definitely eternal consequences. If the yucky kind of consequences/punishment (which is what you ultimately get by choosing the wrong road) is "good" I think I've been a little turned around my whole life!
   Anyway, moral of the story: Don't Curse; You can't turn it off nor does it have good results! I know I don't know you but it would make me sad if I heard you cuss because it makes me sad in general when people cuss. I just don't understand the point! But for those of us who don't cuss, we can use the overhearing of vulgar language as a prayer prompt, encouraging us to turn to Jesus on behalf of whoever uttered the profane word. That way we will bring some good out of the bad! And, in my case, I tend to judge the person who said the naughty word/s and be disgusted by it/them, because of this I can use it as a prayer prompt for my own ugly judgment tendency!
   Thanks JC for always providing that "good from the bad" opportunity! You're the best! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment