Thursday, July 18, 2013

Vanity


   Vanity is a word that is used often in the Bible. In fact, it is used fairly often in my head as well. I've always thought of being vain as caring about how you physically look. However, as I read through the Bible, it is often used in a context where it didn't seem to fit. Because of that, I looked the word up in the dictionary and found that my limited definition didn't come close to encompassing the fullness of the word.
   The actual definition of vanity is "something lacking real value, something that passes away." While this is true for looks, it really includes all worldly things. You could look at your new phone, your bedspread, or the views of a political party and think it's all vanity because these things will change, new and improved versions will always be coming out.
   I thought this was pretty neat because I have a really bad connotation for the word vain or vanity. If I can equate these words to 'worldly' it will help grow my dislike for the thought of worldly things. If I don't like the thought of them it will help strengthen my resolve to try and eliminate them from my life!
   One last thought: God's love is the one thing that isn't vanity. His love has always been and will always be unfathomable and perfect. So much so that it isn't even possible for it to be improved. The only reason it continues to seem new to us is because as we love more, we see more of its fullness.

No comments:

Post a Comment