Thursday, July 18, 2013

Nothing Else

   A couple days ago, my iron sister said something that really struck me. Of course I've known that we won't be able to take anything into heaven but I'd only thought of it in the context of money, trinkets, ect. She used it in the context of an annotated Bible or that cross necklace you always wear. It was the first time I'd ever heard it put that way and it really made me think. 
   First off, lately God has been urging me to memorize more scripture. The fact that all I'm bringing to heaven is myself made me think about my Biblical knowledge. I can definitely tell bible stories and paraphrase verses but I there are few I'd be able to give exact wording or an address for. If I knew His word more fully, not only will it help me on earth but it would be, in a sense, preparation for heaven. (Not that you need to prepare, but you get the point.)
   Secondly, because God knows your heart, all the earthly accomplishments that weren't done for God won't be worth a thing. I went through a phase in elementary school where when I read my Bible I would use 5 different color highlighters so to others it looked like I read my Bible more often. Ironically, now that I actually read my Bible more, I don't care if other people know or not. :)
   Anyway, I thought it was very interesting to experience that truth in that context and hope y'all do too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment