Sunday, June 16, 2013

Cliche to Extraordinary

   For the past week, I've been in San Antonio on a mission trip. My group and I roofed and I had an amazing time! But on the first day, God jolted me into the reality of what I was doing. 
   At the beginning of each chapel service, there are two journal question. On Sunday night, before I even knew what I'd be doing, the question on the screen read, 'Why did you come to Blue Print?' (Blue Print was the ministry we worked from.) That question really struck me and my answer hit home. My honest answer was 1) My Youth group was going and I like to be involved in my church and 2) I like helping people.
   This answer may seem fine but it isn't. I should have gone on the trip with a mindset of serving God, not staying plugged in with church. And while it's good that I like helping people, I can't truly serve people unless my goal is to serve God.
   I'm so grateful to God for bringing me to the realization that I should be there to serve Him! It's all in His timing and I'm so thankful His timing was before I started working. And while I wish I could say I went with the right mindset, I'm extremely thankful I can say that the mindset I aimed for was serving God while I worked. I'm extremely thankful that God spun the trip so I could see that my cliche "help people" mindset should be a "serving God" mindset. And the simple fact that God lets us serve Him is extraordinary! Never again will I let myself turn something as extraordinary as a mission trip into ordinary and cliche! Thank you God! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment